Thursday, February 28, 2013

SATH



at the home of  Catherine Tucker of Parrish Watson Design


1.      I wanted art in my son’s nursery that made a grand statement.  I searched for vintage airplane sketches to no avail, and ended up plotting some online prints onto large scale drafting paper.  Framed with inexpensive Ikea frames, they add a colorful and bold visual above his dresser.


2.      I found a pair of vintage Henredon, floral, skirted chairs on Craigslist.  I knew they were well made and could be updated to fit our home.  I had my upholsterer square off the arms, take off the skirt, add stem casters to the legs and re-upholster with a neutral stripe.  They will be a staple in my house for many years to come which I can update with fresh, new pillows from time to time.

3.      I love big art.  I think everyone should have one (or two) pieces of large art in their home.  Art fairs and Etsy.com are a great place to search for something that speaks to you. 

4.      Drawer pulls can make or break a piece of furniture.  These antique brass pulls, from Lee Valley, update this basic Ikea Rast chest.  Props to my husband who also added the decorative toe kick.

5.      I adore large scaled lighting fixtures.  The bigger the better to make a bold statement.  I found this lantern at an antique store, had it rewired and it currently resides above my breakfast table.  

6.      Throughout the years I have collected Café Au Lait bowls, found during my travels and occasionally at local antique stores.  I have fond memories growing up drinking hot chocolate out of my mom’s French Café bowls and will one day pass on the tradition to my own children.

7.      I love a collection of art and photographs that have a special meaning.  The silhouettes are of my husband and my daughter when they were young.  Most of the art is from Italy or France; items I either inherited or picked up at a brocante while traveling.  The photograph is of my daughter when she was two; such a sweet age and such a wonderful memory captured in print.   The frames are vintage finds all in the same color palette giving a cohesive look.    

1 comment:

  1. Hey Catherine:

    It's absolutely timeless, classic design & it's so peaceful. I can't wait to see your home again in person tomorrow!

    With love,
    Amy Nesmith

    ReplyDelete