at the home of Mallory Rushing
I graduated from Auburn University with a degree in Interior Design and a Business minor. For thirteen years, I worked as the design assistant to Mary Evelyn McKee Interiors. I currently stay at home molding the lives of my two little ones and trying to keep my feet wet in design when I can. Being at home most of the time, I have definitely realized how important it is to surround myself with beauty!
1. I love mixing modern and traditional. The cuckoo clock was a present from my mom and reminds me of one we had as a child (from Anthropologie) and the landscape oil painting was sitting in my sister-in-laws garage and I asked if I could "borrow" it.
2. Greek key is so classic; it can be dressed up or down. I chose to dress it down by using it as a banding on a pillow made out of a more casual raffia fabric. (materials available through Mary Evelyn McKee Interiors)
3. I stay at home with my 4 and 2 year olds, and plan on homeschooling the next couple of years. Our house is small and I try to maximize the spaces we have. We spend ALOT of time in the kitchen, so I decided to paint one whole wall with chalkboard paint. It gives my kids a creative outlet and me a medium to teach on. And I actually like the look of the constant scribbles and eraser dust, it makes the room feel more lived in.(paint from Home Depot)
4. I found an old 70's orange wing chair at a thrift store and then had it recovered in a raffia fabric with a contrast print on the seat cushion, added nailheads and painted the legs black. (fabrics available through Mary Evelyn McKee Interiors)
5. My husband and I traveled quite a bit before we had our two kiddos and I decided to order antique maps, of where we had been, in similar color palettes off of eBay. I then bought a lot of old frames for around $5 and gold leafed them for a cohesive look.
6. In this simple tablescape, I used books, which always create an inviting atmosphere, and the coral handmade pottery, made by a local artist, was a gift. The architectural lamp makes a great statement (purchased through Mary Evelyn McKee Interiors)
7. I LOVE this antique rug (probably my favorite thing in my house). It is a bold pop of color in my fairly neutral living room. It is a 5' x 7' rug layered on top of a room size sisal rug. (available through Mary Evelyn McKee Interiors)